Return to site

Wisconsin Marriage License Information

ID Requirement: You must bring your Social Security Number, show proof of residence, have a certified copy of your birth certificate if you are under the age of 30. Know your parents full names, mothers' maiden names. Make sure you have the date and place of your marriage ceremony and the name, address and phone number of the officiant/minister. Make sure you contact your County Clerk's office prior to leaving to get your marriage license. Some counties have different requirements as to required documents.

Wisconsin Residency Requirement: One of you needs to have resided for at least 30 days in the Wisconsin county where you are applying. If you are from out-of-state, you must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place.

Previous Marriages: In Wisconsin, you must show proof of divorce, death or annulment from your most recent marriage. You need to wait six months after a divorce before getting remarried. Bring a copy of judgment of divorce, legal annulment or death certificate from most recent marriage.

Waiting Period in Wisconsin: There is a waiting period of six days in Wisconsin. If one or both of the parties is coming from out of state for the wedding, you can ask for a waiver of the waiting period when you apply for your license. The cost of the waiver varies from county to county. Some counties charge $10, making the total needed at time of application $70 in cash. Please check with the County Clerk's office for more information.

Fees in Wisconsin: Although the fees for a marriage license in Wisconsin vary, the average cost is $70.00. Be prepared to pay in cash. Check with the County Clerk in your county to know what the fee will be.

Tests: Wisconsin does not require that you take any blood tests.

Proxy Marriages: No. Proxy marriages are not allowed in Wisconsin.

Cousin Marriages: No. Cousin marriages are not allowed in Wisconsin.

Common Law Marriages: No. Common law marriages are not recognized in Wisconsin.

Same Sex Marriages: No.

Under 18: If either the bride or groom is under 18, you must have written, notarized consent from his or her parents or guardian. There is a Consent form available to be signed by parents or guardian before a County Clerk.

Officiants in Wisconsin: Ordained member of the clergy, a judge, a court commissioner, or certain religious appointees. You and your prospective spouse may officiate under established customs or rules of some religions.

Miscellaneous: A Wisconsin marriage license is valid for thirty (30) days.

Application for Marriage License – please contact your local county licensing center. Do a search of "county name" and marriage license.

All Posts

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly